Sunday 20 March 2016

THE DIVERGENT SERIES: ALLEGIANT

"You're the only one"



          I am seriously glad that Daredevil Season 2 came out this weekend to wash away the bad taste left after watching Allegiant. There are some interesting moments in this film...some cool scenes to see...but the worse part is that I just don't care. And I don't say that because I'm trying to sound like a jerk or something...its just that the film's characters didn't hook me enough to care about what transpired on screen.

          In fact, I'm not going to be a total jerk and I'll begin by acknowledging the positives within this film. Firstly, I have to say (without spoiling anything), the concept of what's happening with Chicago and the reasons behind it are pretty solid. When it was explained, I went, "Wow! That makes complete sense". And its a concept that isn't common among movies, so I was initially glad to hear that concept. Unfortunately, the film didn't really tackle it much, and quickly went off to a different direction. But it really is a strong concept/theme for the plot. (Or maybe I should be crediting the book for this point).

          Apart from that, there are some cool action sequences...mostly attributed to the weaponry/technology that exists in that world. Also, the exciting music/score really helps. It made the action look & feel cooler.

          But the failings of this movie are unfortunately critical elements of a film. Firstly, the plot. The plot itself is as generic & as predictable as can be. There really is no bit that would surprise you. But it would usually be okay if you still have interesting characters to root for. But, no. The main characters are not interesting nor relatable nor likeable. I watched these characters do this and that, but I couldn't really care if they win or lose. If anything, the only interesting character is Miles Teller's character, and he is just a supporting character and not someone we ought to root for.

           So, its like watching all these characters do one thing after the other, but you don't feel part of the journey. There are some cool scenes to see...cool action to watch. But in the end, it's just like watching some cool shit happening to some strangers in some distant world. Even Star Wars is in a galaxy far, far away but it made me feel like home. In any case, I'm glad Daredevil is in town. And if you have Netflix, that is what you should watch this week. Unless you're a proper Divergent series fan...in which case, by all means, it would not be the worst film to watch.

VERDICT: 4.5 

No comments:

Post a Comment