Sunday 27 March 2016

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

"Son of Krypton versus Bat of Gotham"

The two titular heroes, Batman and Superman, are confronting each other, with the film's logo behind them, and the film's title, credits, release date and billing below.

             Maybe its because I'm a fan, or maybe I appreciate too much the visual spectacle that I see (which I can never get in other mediums)...but I really had a great time with this film for me to really complain about the negatives. I can feel the incoherencies, and I can definitely list down plot holes or moments that just don't work...but there are great moments now and again...and the last hour of the film is just too fun to worry about the negatives.

           Like I said, I can totally understand people's complaints about this film. It is incoherent. I can feel that. The many jumps between scenes don't really allow people to breathe in what has happened. Sometimes, it just gets confusing. The same goes for some of the scenes that just don't really work for the film. And I have a particular concern on those dream sequences. And don't even get me started on the many plot holes within the film. But in the end, I'm just having too much fun to worry about all this.

           The first half of the film is pretty mixed for me. It is hampered by a lot of the issues above, but I enjoy some of the great moments, too. And many have said this, but I will join them in the chorus: any scene involving Bruce Wayne/Batman is cool. This is a great iteration of the character, despite the many versions of the character in the past decade or so. Especially interesting are the scenes between him and Alfred (Jeremy Irons). 

            Now the last hour or so, beginning from the Batmobile sequence, is just brilliant and a lot of fun. The Batmobile itself is cool and that particular sequence is fun. And then not long after, there was one rather shocking scene that really kicked off the intensity & action of the film. From then onwards, its a matter of witnessing one of the greatest battles in the big screen, and just a pure visual spectacle to behold. Let me also say that I can still list down some plot holes all the way to end of the film, but again...I was just having too much fun to nitpick the negatives at that moment.

          Oh, and I have to mention this, but the score/music by Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL is brilliant. And in the movie itself, it really increases the excitement & intensity of the action sequences. Loved them.

          In the end, this movie is really straightforward to review. There are negatives, especially in relation to the narrative. Incoherencies, plot holes, unnecessary scenes. But there are positives too and they involve the visual spectacle (that a director of Zack Snyder's calibre can bring), and some very great comic book moments. 

          But personally for me, I enjoy the movie way too much that I'd have to nitpick to feel the negatives (at least at the moment of watching). And as a film, I can accept that it is nowhere near great...but as a cinematic experience, I think it's a must see!

VERDICT: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment