Saturday 19 November 2016

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM



              In a lot of ways, this is a really, really good film. The characters are great, and the character dynamics are even better. The overall story is good, with a lot of humour throughout, yet it doesn't forsake the dramatic tension of the main plot. And the visual effects and the look of these magical beasts are, for lack of a better word, fantastic! The bits and pieces of connections to the original Harry Potter saga is just the icing on the cake...

             The best thing about this film, for me, are the characters. Eddie Redmayne's Newt Scamander is a very unconventional yet likeable protagonist. And I like the fact that his character is one that feels more comfortable with creatures than with humans. Even more so when we get to see him have such relationships & interactions with some of his creatures.

              And still on characters & relationships, I really like the team of protagonists that accompanies Newt in this quest (Kowalski, Queenie & Tina). Kowalski (Dan Fogler) is the surprise standout for me, and his character dynamic with Newt is brilliant. And even as this film doesn't focus on the romance, I can feel the relationship that develops between Kowalski & Queenie. And finally I just have to add that Colin Farrell is brilliant as always, and I really like his character.

            The overall story is also very good. But J.K. Rowling is someone you will never bet against, anyway, when it comes to writing great stories. There is some really good fun humour throughout, and I really enjoyed them. But at some darker moments, I can feel the dramatic tension, too. The story really has the perfect balance of action, humour & drama.

            Finally, my special credit should go to director David Yates and his visual effects team. I watched this film in IMAX 3D, and it looks spectacular. The look of these beasts are brilliant, and overall the visual effects are really well done, especially with the 1926 setting.
            Also, with the IMAX 3D, the 3D effects were really put into effect. There are many moments when the objects or the creatures just jumps out of the screen and close into your face. The last time I felt such 3D effects would probably be in one of the Hobbit films, and they didn't even do it as much as David Yates did here. So, if you have the extra bucks to spare, I would actually recommend IMAX 3D.

             If I have to nitpick, maybe I can (with some slight pacing issues, etc), but I don't really want to because I really enjoyed this film a lot. A perfect blend of action, humour & drama, and some spectacular 3D effects makes this a wonderful return to the wizarding world! Can't wait for the sequel now...

VERDICT: 91/100

             Highly recommended. For Potter fans, a must watch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment