Sunday 26 February 2017

Most Anticipated of Q2 2017

With the months of May & June being the peak summer period, there really is quite a lot of movies being released in this second quarter of 2017...



My Most Anticipated Movies of Q2 2017:

             I have previously made an honourable mention to King Arthur: Legend of the Sword in my Q1 article, but it was then delayed to May. And I wanted to say that because of that, I wouldn't mention it again this time, but I feel like I just kind of did, anyway.
             Now, for the real honourable mentions of Q2. First up is Baywatch, which looks like another one of those hilarious, unrestrained comedy/action. The other movie I want to mention is The Mummy. The trailer didn't sell me so I'm not too keen on this film yet, but I'm definitely curious to see it.

8. Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

          I'm not too excited about this film because the series itself has been going downhill. Despicable Me 2 is not as good as the first one, and Minions (though fun) isn't really that good. But I personally really love the first Despicable Me, and that film has a lot of heart - just like most Disney & Pixar films. If this next film can recapture the magic & emotion of the first, then I will be surely be on board. But I'm a bit reserved, for now.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlq39IC07qA

7. Transformers: The Last Knight (June 23)

             I do not despise the Transformers movies as much as most people do. I find them quite enjoyable, even the most recent one (Age of Extinction). However, I do accept & understand that these are not great movies at all, and I know not to expect the next one to be great, either. I can hope for it, and I will definitely be excited to watch it, but my expectations will be a bit held back. Hopefully we can at least have some fun & good robot action in The Last Knight.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntcyqJ6brc

6. Alien: Covenant (May 19)

              As some of you might know, I am not a big fan of the horror genre. But I am a big fan of science-fiction, so the mix of the two is a rather conflicting proposition for me. Get this, I am really very excited & curious about this film, but the fact that I dislike horror puts me slightly off. I have a few months to ponder on the decision, but for now, I am actually slightly leaning towards wanting to catch this film.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ6RX8YBpI4


5. The Fate of the Furious (April 14)

            There are several films in this franchise which are really good (Fast Five, Furious 6), but the most recent film (Furious 7), for me, was quite bad. It was way too messy and all over the place and I didn't like it at all. For me, this franchise currently feels like a franchise that has overstayed its welcome, and is now only trying to become bigger and bigger, but has lost its charm. And the trailer for this new film only adds to my worries...it looks like they are trying too hard to pull off a different story and still try to have a bigger spectacle. I'm not sold. Nevertheless, it still looks action packed and fun (hopefully), so yes I'm still interested to watch it.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XBmsl7wbIQ


4. Cars 3 (June 16)

                I know a lot of people aren't big fans of the Cars films, and it is considered to be one of the weakest of Pixar properties...but I personally liked them. It is a unique concept - to see a world inhabited by cars who act like humans. A bit like Zootopia, but with cars instead. Even Cars 2 (which people consider to be one of the worst Pixar films) I think was pretty special as they even managed to incorporate the spy/espionage element into the universe. In any case, I can understand all the dislikes & complaints, but as I personally like them, I am very much interested to see what the next chapter in the series will be like...

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHv3GJtjto

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (May 26)

              Like several of the films above, the Pirates franchise hasn't had too much love from reviewers. But it remains a very fun action flick and has a very iconic, lovable character in Captain Jack Sparrow - which I would argue is Johnny Depp's best character. Not his best performance necessarily, but his best character. A few other of his characters (Tonto, for example) are pale imitations, but for me, this is his original and his best role. Captain Jack Sparrow is reason enough to watch the Pirates movies, so yes, I am quite looking forward to this next adventure in the high seas.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqftOTvYYd8

2. Wonder Woman (June 2)

             Of the two DC movies that's coming out this year, this is the one I'm looking forward to more. The Justice League footage that came out last year only showed me that its trying too hard to be fun/funny. The trailers for Wonder Woman, meanwhile, have all been brilliant. The combination of action & humour is great. I like the tone that it carries, and the focus on the characters. And the fact that it is set in World War One era only adds to the excitement for me. The DCEU movies haven't really made its mark yet, and I do hope this one will.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HUlW21v1fQ&t=2s

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (May 5)

             Now if there's one movie that really knows what its doing and embraces it to the fullest, it is this. We all know of the surprise success of the first Guardians of the Galaxy, and this one looks to enhance & improve on it in every single way - the action, the story, the characters, and most importantly, the humour. I have loved every single second of footage (teasers/trailers) I've seen of this film, and it is very simply brilliant. The humour is excellent and even from what few I've seen, I am loving this film already. James Gunn really seems like he knows what he's doing and really embraces the fun & silliness of these characters. This may yet be his masterpiece...

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr7tDrwQ3t8

No comments:

Post a Comment