Wednesday 26 October 2016

Most Anticipated of 2017 - Part 2



7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

            After Guardians of the Galaxy, I would trust James Gunn in a jiffy to deliver a fun & action-packed spectacle. He knows how to play with distinct characters and put them together and most of all - made us to like and root for these unique personalities. He is also smart when it comes to dialogue and character interactions. The teaser trailer that recently came out reminded us of that. But the first Guardians didn't really stand out when it comes to the plot - and also the villain.
           But if he can rectify these in the sequel and keep all the qualities that made the first film a success, then I think we're looking at one of the best summer spectacles ever. As of now, I am definitely looking forward to this super sequel next summer, but I will reserve my full judgment for then.

6. Thor: Ragnarok

            It's been three years now since we last saw Loki - and now we still have to wait another year. Loki is very simply one of the main reason for my anticipation of this film. But it is not the only one. Thor remains a very likeable character and can be very funny when put in certain situations. And then, we have Hulk who is set to be part of this third Thor standalone adventure. 
           And we haven't even got to the title - well, actually we have, but what I meant to say was that the title 'Ragnarok' means something - as Marvel fans would know and come to expect. All this together, along with some great new additions in the cast (with Cate Blanchett, Karl Urban & Jeff Goldblum on board...just to name a few), this promises to be another spectacular adventure with Marvel's God of Thunder. 

5. Justice League

            When this was first announced, I thought to myself: this should easily break into my Top 3 most anticipated movies of the year. Now, however, I just can't seem to do that. But hey, number 5 doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to it. It remains a film I look forward to so much - to finally see DC's own super band of heroes. The performances of Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman only helps the case, and so does Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman and Jason Momoa's Aquaman. And while Batman v Superman wasn't a super hit, I still think that Zack Snyder is an excellent director, and I look forward to see what he brings to Justice League.
          But if I have to justify myself, I can think of two reasons why this didn't break into the Top 3. Firstly, Marvel's The Avengers (back in 2012) had earlier made us dream & feel of seeing a band of our favourite superheroes together in the same screen for the first time - so this element will not be Justice League's strongest selling point. The other reason would be that the footage that dropped during Comic Con earlier this year kind of showed some flaws. For me, the trailer seems like it is not sure whether to go with a fun tone or with dark...its like it doesn't have a clear identity and wants to be both. But also, even the humours in that trailer felt cheesy and forced, and I don't quite like them. So, there's that. But, Justice League remains a film I look forward to a lot next year.

4. Logan

            In some ways, I do not wish this film to come too soon, because that means that our adventures with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is at an end. But this final Wolverine story promises to be different, and that is exciting in its own right. But more than anything, I wish to see a spectacular send off for Hugh Jackman's Wolverine - a character we've grown accustomed to seeing (and liking) for the past decade and a half.
            The teaser trailer that came out recently really puts it on a different light than any other X-Men films. The tone of it makes it feel more like a character drama than a comic book movie - and I love it. Here's hoping for a great one last Wolverine film...


Up Next: Honourable Mentions & Big Name Misses...

No comments:

Post a Comment