Saturday 9 January 2016

SPECIAL: BEST OF 2015 - Part 1

We have just stepped into 2016, so its the perfect time to look back on the best films of 2015...and these below are my personal favourites:

Before we start, please understand these 2 disclaimers below:

Disclaimer 1: I cannot possibly watch every single film of the year (especially those of which genre I'm not a fan of), so this list will only be based on the films I have watched...

Disclaimer 2: Taking a page from the book of some YouTube reviewers I follow closely, please understand that I do these lists & reviews as a fan first and foremost, not as a critic. But I urge you to stick with people like us, or in fact, embrace it! Why?

-> Because film critics go to films trying to find faults or positives, i.e. they have a job to do. Fans (or Cinephiles) like us go to the movies for the experience, and then we let you all know if we love them, why or why not.

That being said...


10. Pan

          At the risk of being shouted at by many other critics or reviewers (or the internet, for that matter) who hate this film, I have to come out and say that I thought this film was FUN. I agree that the story isn't particularly great, and its a bit too cheesy & over-the-top. But apart from that, there is a lot to enjoy with this film. Hugh Jackman is especially brilliant as Blackbeard. And we have a very likeable Hook, who in this film, still has a playful & friendly relationship with Peter Pan himself - and I enjoy those. And the plot surprisingly has heart, the music is great, and there is a ton of humour as well. A decent piece of entertainment at the movies.

9. Avengers: Age of Ultron

          As a fan, I had great anticipation & excitement over this film (maybe a little too much), yet I still ended up having a great time. There are, as I would personally agree, some minor disappointments all over the film. I could do with a list of my own for that: the romance, the Vision's creation, etc, etc. But that still doesn't take away the fact that I enjoyed the film in so many levels. I understand the letdowns, especially when the film is compared to its predecessor, but it doesn't stop me from watching the film over and over and enjoying them just as much every time.

8. The Martian

          When you have a very likeable character like Matt Damon's Mark Watney, you can't help but root for him to survive the ordeal. How rare is it that you watch a film about one person stranded alone in one place, and still have a ton of fun. That's what this film succeeds. Unlike other films that ends up being dark, gritty, and helplessly depressing - this film instead tries to have the most fun with it - and it worked to perfection! Even the scenes away from Mars are great, but its these moments with Mark Watney in Mars that made it special. Both thrilling & humourous, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone to see this.


More to come in Parts 2 & 3....

No comments:

Post a Comment