Monday 26 September 2016

SPECIAL: Top 10 Movie Composers - Part 3

And the Top 3 are...

3. Brian Tyler



            Brian Tyler is everywhere. Ever since I caught his name in Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World, I have just seen his name again and again and again. He also scored for The Expendables series, for the Now You See Me franchise, and also, most of the Fast & Furious films. And while these are not all great films, the music is excellent.
           And, I just have to add, my personal favourite Brian Tyler score is not in the movies. It is, in fact, from a video game. Firstly, I want to mention that he did the music for Need for Speed: The Run (which includes one of the best track I have ever heard in a video game) and also Far Cry 3. But it was his work in Assassin's Creed: Black Flag which remains my personal favourite and it really enhances the game experience. And even to this day, I still like hearing the score once in a while.

Favourite: Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (VG), Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World
Upcoming: Fast 8


2. John Williams



             This name was never going to miss the list. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Superman...who doesn't know the name John Williams?
             And yes, I did say that, to be in this list, the composer must be active recently to be under my radar. Well, firstly, John Williams is still active...with his mos recent work in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And secondly, I know I'm not a boy of the 80s, but if there's any film of the 80s that I love to watch, it would be easily the Star Wars films and the Indiana Jones films. And as a kid, I was a super fan of Jurassic Park.
             And I'm not simply mentioning these movies because they're classic greats...but it is because I love the music that comes with these movies - and they are super iconic and super amazing. Arguably the all time best musics of cinematic history - and I love them.
            And for sure, I am thankful that John Williams still decides to do the Star Wars musics...which is one of (among the many) reasons that I can't wait for Star Wars Episode VIII.

Favourite: Star Wars (franchise), Indiana Jones (franchise), Jurassic Park
Upcoming: Star Wars Episode VIII 


1. Hans Zimmer




              And my personal favourite composer is none other than the great Hans Zimmer. And if you're wondering why he stands ahead of the legendary John Williams, the reason lies on my introduction. Hans Zimmer has been so active recently, and all of them are spectacular. John Williams was terrific, but most of his best work lies in the classic franchises. Hans Zimmer keeps on taking new projects recently and all of these has been superb.
             The Dark Knight Trilogy, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, Sherlock Holmes, Madagascar franchise, Kung Fu Panda franchise, The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, Interstellar, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Lone Ranger & Rush.
            See, I need a whole paragraph just to list his brilliant works, and all those are just the ones that I personally love. And I just want to call out that while Rush is not a blockbuster film, it has a track (Lost but Won) which is my personal favourite of all Hans Zimmer scores...and a lot of them are stunningly spectacular.
            And so Hans Zimmer is the name I want to see the most to score my favourite movies. A musical genius, and a true legend for me.

Favourite: All the films in the second paragraph above...
Upcoming: Inferno, Dunkirk


And there's that for my personal list of favourite composers...
And I hope these amazing people keep on creating more and more spectacular scores for us all to enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment