Saturday 24 September 2016

SPECIAL: Top 10 Movie Composers - Part 1

Great music enhances the cinematic experience of a film...enchancing the intensity of the action, the emotional level of a scene, and immerses you into the world right in front of your eyes...

This list below is a list of my personal favourite composers who have created some of my favourite movie scores...which I love to hear over and over again...

Disclaimers:
1. Obviously, the list is highly subjective and these are my personal choices.
2. Also, the names that show up will only be basis the movies I have seen...and hence, they would (mostly) have to have been active recently for them to come up under my radar.
3. And finally this is not a representation of the movies themselves. The movies may be bad, but the scores might still be brilliant.

And as there are quite a lot of composers which are indeed under my radar...

Honourable Mentions (in Alphabetical Order):



             There are some names that I cannot manage to include in my Top 10 - and mostly it is because I only like their score in just the one movie or one franchise. But, they did it spectacularly.
            Firstly, I can think of Christophe Beck, who did the score for Ant-Man and Frozen, most notably. But the Ant-Man score is the one I really love...I heard it over and over again and it was brilliant and energetic. But apparently, this is the only notable score I like from Mr Beck.
            Another name that comes to mind is Craig Armstrong. He did the score for The Incredible Hulk and it was superb. I really love it, but apparently that's the only movie I know he did. I'm sure he did others, but nothing else came to my attention (in other words, I don't watch them).
           Next up is Howard Shore. Very simply, he did the score for both the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit trilogy. And these are very lovely music...both adventurous and magical, it really takes people into the world of Middle-Earth throughout the course of these Peter Jackson epics.
           John Ottman is another one of similar situation. He did the score for a lot of the X-Men films...and for the better ones, too (X2, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse). And the theme song that he created was excellent, and everytime I hear it, I am taken back to my childhood from when my movie heroes were the mutants of Xavier's school.
             Finally, I also have John Powell, who I like for doing the music for the Bourne franchise. They were spectacular, especially those in The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum.

Now, for the Top 10...



10. Alexandre Desplat




           I have, only very recently, realized that Monsieur Desplat did the score for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (both parts) - but I cannot give him a lot of the credit for that, because the music has already been done by many others before, and so the core themes didn't actually come from him. However, he did do the score for Godzilla, which was pretty good, and the one for me was The Imitation Game, which has a stunningly beautiful score.

Favourite: The Imitation Game
Upcoming: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets


9. Alan Silvestri



             A music legend. Alan Silvestri did the music for some classics like the Back to the Future series, Forrest Gump, etc - however, they were, for the most part, before my time. But, recently, he did the score for Captain America: The First Avenger and more importantly, The Avengers, which was exceptional - especially that theme when we get to see all of the heroes together in a circle. I'm glad it was Mr Silvestri who had the honour of scoring this film. It was a brilliant score for an iconic movie moment.

Favourite: The Avengers
Upcoming: Avengers: Infinity War


Ranks 8 to 4 to come in the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment