Wednesday 14 September 2016

Looking Forward: OCTOBER 2016

Fortunately, the month of October sees a return of more interesting films, most of which are in the action/thriller genre...



The Girl on the Train (Oct 7-USA, Oct 5-UK, Oct 6-Singapore)

          I was never aware of this film until I saw the trailer. So this film was never in my radar, but now that I've seen the trailer, I am quite intrigued about this film. A mystery thriller with a great cast like Emily Blunt & Luke Evans. I won't be completely anticipating this movie, but for sure...I am curious to see it.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5_Iiu_uWI8 (Trailer #1)


The Accountant (Oct 14-USA, Nov 4-UK, Oct 13-Singapore)

            This film has an interesting premise. I like the idea that this person (played by Ben Affleck) has a high affinity with numbers and may hold secrets of some criminal organizations. But the idea I don't buy (yet) is how this person is able to have some excellent combat & firearm skills. Not that I'm doubting a mathematician's ability to fire a gun...but its just that when a character has an outstanding skill on the cognitive side, he usually lacks in the practical/physical aspect.
             Hopefully the film will touch on this, but for now, I still have that common perception that a character don't usually have outstanding skills in both (very contrasting) aspects. That being said, the film looks pretty interesting with a great premise and some great cast, too.

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBfsgcswlYQ (Trailer #1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkPJ3aENjvM (Trailer #2)


Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (Oct 21-USA, Oct 21-UK, Oct 20-Singapore)

          The first Jack Reacher film was a bit divisive among audiences. Some of them quite like it, others don't. I'm more of the former. I thought it was rather interesting and cool. I admit that it is too slow-paced, and its not like many other action flicks which are more energetic and fun. But Tom Cruise is a true action hero, and is someone you can never dislike. Between his investigative skills & combat ability, Jack Reacher is an unconventional but cool action hero.
            The first thirty seconds in the trailer of Jack Reacher: Never Go Back shows exactly what makes Jack Reacher cool. And if we see more of that in the film, it would surely be an awesome film. And from the trailers, we see some very exciting action sequences, too. So, this film for me is already worth the price of admission, even if only to see Tom Cruise kick some ass.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRwrdbcAh2s (Trailer #1)


Inferno (Oct 28-USA, Oct 14-UK, Oct 13-Singapore)

            I didn't need a trailer to sell me this film - I was always going to watch Inferno, anyway. I really enjoyed the movies The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, the previous two adventures of Robert Langdon of the Dan Brown novels. They were excellent thrillers that really kept me at the edge of my seat throughout. I expect this next chapter, which brings back the collaboration of director Ron Howard and lead actor Tom Hanks, to be no different.

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWLrpoz1YLw (Teaser Trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6uW7Jb-PU4 (Trailer #1)


Other Movies:

             For those of you looking for a comedy flick, Keeping Up with the Joneses (October 21) sounds like a fun movie to look out for. And it has a good cast, too. Meanwhile, for horror lovers, the prequel to Ouija - aptly titled Ouija: Origin of Evil - comes out on the same day (October 21).
             Finally, the one other movie I am curious about is the crime drama American Pastoral (October 28), which is the directorial debut of one of my favourite actors ever, Ewan McGregor - who also starred in the film itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment