Monday 6 June 2016

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS

"What button? There are a million buttons"



            Whatever you felt when watching the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot in 2014, chances are you'll probably feel the same watching this sequel - at least I did. Its fun...to a certain extent. There is some entertainment value in the form of the action, and (some) of the humour. And if you're the kind of person who can enjoy that in of itself (like I am), then this film will be kind of fun. But you should not expect this to be a good film.

            I kept my expectations at a low when I came in to watch this film - and hence I find some things rather enjoyable and not as bad as I thought it would be. Before watching the film, I thought that Krang could well be the cheesiest & weirdest villain I'd ever see. But it turns out he's not that bad. He is still weird & cheesy, but, in a film with turtles & rats that can fight martial arts....Krang is just the next level.

            And if you haven't figured it out by now...I wasn't a TMNT fan growing up. I probably didn't watch any of the films or animations, etc. All I had going into the film was the experience and the fun I had with the first film. So, going into this film, I expected more of the same...and that is exactly what I got - no more, no less.

            The action is pretty solid. Its not like super awesome or even memorable, but at least it was enjoyable to watch. The visual effects are also brilliantly done as well, though - especially when it comes to the turtles. And while some of the humour are too cheesy, some of them works. And the plot is seriously super straightforward, but I didn't expect anything more, anyway. So, all this, when you come in with expectations kept to a low and tolerance kept to a high, makes for a decently enjoyable film.

             But if I have to call it out: Yes, the plot is very straightforward and predictable. And most of the characters are uninteresting, even Stephen Amell's Casey Jones. He had no character development or even a pinch of personality. Some people say that Psylocke (in X-Men: Apocalypse) has no character development, but I thought it was okay, because Psylocke to me is always meant to be a side character - the same as Hawkeye in Civil War (and nobody complained about that). But in this film, Casey Jones is a main character, and so this becomes a problem. Furthermore, some of the other characters are just too over-the-top, and their jokes/humour can sometimes be cringe-worthy for anyone above 8.

           In the end, by keeping expectations at a low and tolerance to high, I find this film kind of enjoyable to watch - but in no way will I ever say its a good one.

VERDICT: 6.0

              I don't think I would recommend this film to anyone in general, but if you're a fan of Ninja Turtles, or if you are just looking for some fun and can keep expectations to a low - then you might find this film enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment