Wednesday 15 June 2016

Looking Forward: JULY 2016

Jason-bourne-poster.jpg

The BFG (July 1-USA, July 22-UK, July 21-Singapore)

          If all I know about this film is the title and the poster, I seriously would've passed. Because nothing on it appeals to me, and I am unfamiliar with the book, either. But with what I know now...well, I know better than to doubt Steven Spielberg and Disney. Disney's recent run of films is more than enough to convince me that they know what they're doing. Put in there the great vision of Steven Spielberg, the brilliance of Mark Rylance, and the magical touch of John Williams - I find myself looking at a film I just can't find a reason to pass.

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA6kCaxaTlk (Teaser)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frGSzFj10p4 (Trailer #1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8OKRS6HC8U (Trailer #2)


The Legend of Tarzan (July 1-USA, July 6-UK, June 30-Singapore)

            I was initially skeptical about this film, but when I saw the first trailer for this film, everything changed. The trailer itself (as a trailer) is awesome. So, I thought I'm definitely giving this film a chance. But then the second trailer came and, instead of getting me more pumped up, concerns me. I look at the trailer and the CGI doesn't look too well done - and the movement of the animals look a bit cartoon-ish. Another thing that concerns me is knowing that the director of this film (David Yates) has also another film coming out in November in the form of a Harry Potter spin-off - which makes me wonder in times like these (filming, post-production, etc), which film does he focus on?
          In any case, I will still check this film out...but I won't have any sort of anticipation or specific expectation.

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0HWRi7gkM (Trailer #1) (Must See!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91rm_G1xkU8 (Trailer #2) 


Ghostbusters (July 15-USA, July 11-UK, July 14-Singapore)

          The first thing that comes to my mind about this film now is the fact the trailer is the most disliked trailer in YouTube ever. I'm not even sure why, actually, but I can only assume that the film looks to tarnish the legacy of the original in the eyes of many fans...but I sure as hell hope its not the case of the cast being all female. In any case, I have never watched any previous Ghostbusters films. Hence, right now, I don't have a clue whether to like or dislike this. And basis the trailer alone...I can see some flaws or some things I won't like...but it looks fun, too. So, I guess I'll be checking it out first...then I'll be able to have a say on whether I like or dislike this film.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYnSjERs-oU (Trailer #1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6hlkIlGFCI (Trailer #2)


Ice Age: Collision Course (July 22-USA, July 15-UK, June 30-Singapore)

          If there is one film I know I'm not looking forward to in July - it's this one! Why? Because I think the series has overstayed its welcome and it certainly looks like it ran out of ideas that it had to use a theme that's even weirder...a meteor?? The jokes or humour even felt repetitive. We've seen the relationship between Manny, Diego and Sid too many times and I don't find them funny or fresh or interesting any more. And it feels like it already lost the magic of the original film. I have to say, the first Ice Age was one of the best animation film ever. But the sequels just get worse and worse. And the trailers didn't help either. So yes, this one...I have lost interest completely! And unless it has a surprisingly high rating in Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic, I think I'll pass.

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0c6Jv240QQ (Trailer #1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyLquKn3Swc (Trailer #2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ePFKmRpWy8 (Trailer #3)


Star Trek Beyond (July 22-USA, July 22-UK, July 21-Singapore)

          Now, on the other hand, this is probably my most awaited film in July. Now I admit that I am not a lifelong Trekkie...well, I'm not a Trekkie, period. But I love the Star Trek films since the reboot. And again, while I'm not a Trekkie, but from what I hear, one of the core spirit/theme of Star Trek is about exploring new places and heading into the unknown. In fact, it is there in that iconic 5-year mission speech, right? To explore into the unknown and go boldly where no one has gone before.
           So, when I saw the trailers for this film, to me, it really looked like they are trying to re-capture this spirit of the unknown. It looks like our heroes are stranded somewhere they don't even know, and I like the idea that we will embark on this journey of discovery and survival with our protagonists as together we learn about the place and how to get out of the situation. And plus, I don't know how much (or even if) they will explore the relationship between Kirk and Spock, but the love-hate relationship (and banter) between Kirk & Spock is one of the best I've seen on screen. So, yeah, really looking forward to this!

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sml23ogwy4w (Trailer #1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCyv5xKIqlw (Trailer #2) (Must See!!)


Jason Bourne (July 29-USA, July 27-UK, July 28-Singapore)

          If there is one thing I know I don't appreciate about this film...its the title. They have that luxury of calling their film with something as iconic and cool as "The Bourne Xxxxx", and they didn't use it. Such a waste of an iconic trend, in my opinion. But apart from that, everything about this film looks awesome. The action looks awesome, the story sounds promising - with Bourne getting back into the action after some 12 years away. The cast is brilliant, and its damn nice to have Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon team up again. And if you're not convinced, just check out the trailer (its very cool) - it more than convinced me that we're up for another exciting Bourne film.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v71ce1Dqqns (Trailer #1) (Must See!!)



Other Movies:

          There is another animation film called The Secret Life of Pets (July 8) which is produced from the creators of the Despicable Me films. But this one just doesn't interest me, somehow. A lot of people are, and it could be a good film...but it just didn't hit me, so I'll pass for now. Meanwhile, The Purge: Election Year (July 1) looks to be a good film as well after its quite successful predecessor.
          As for those looking for a shot of comedy, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates arrives on July 8 before Bad Moms comes to theaters on July 29. Another film that need to be mentioned is The Infiltrator (July 13), which boasts a great cast, including Bryan Cranston.

No comments:

Post a Comment