Wednesday 20 July 2016

Looking Forward: AUGUST 2016

The summer movie season is ending...and for the first time in a while, I feel like I will be starved of good & exciting movies...

Even in January & February earlier, there are still some films that excited me...doesn't seem to be the case for August, though...

But the only message here is that if I'm not publishing anything for 2 or even 3 weeks, it won't be because I have abandoned this blog, but rather because I'm waiting for a movie I want to watch...



Suicide Squad (Aug 5-USA, Aug 5-UK, Aug 4-Singapore)

            But the summer is not yet over, and I have Suicide Squad as the last big summer blockbuster that I'm really looking forward to. Initially, I wasn't particularly excited about this film, especially given that I've seen a version of the Suicide Squad in the tv series Arrow. Additionally, some of those castings, like Jared Leto's Joker or even Will Smith's Deadshot - didn't hit me. And to be honest, even now, I haven't been completely turned in terms of the casting. Nothing against Will Smith, but he doesn't look at all like the silent, ruthless hunter I knew as Deadshot. And with the Joker, I am forced to accept that this will just be a different version of the Joker.
           That being said, I have been fully turned in terms of the movie as a whole. It looks super exciting, and its all down to the trailers for me. All of the trailers I've seen looks very exciting and it really looks like a movie where we're just due for some spectacular fun. The tone feels very light, and the mood very playful - and best of all, its not afraid to show that. Its embracing the playful side, and not trying to mask it as a good film. So, while I'm not fully turned in terms of the characters, I really am looking forward to have a lot of fun with this film.

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3hecGO_04 (Comic-Con Trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMb-RrhTxIE (Trailer #1) (Must See!!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKMgB01MU-w (Trailer #2) (Must See!!)


Pete's Dragon (Aug 12-USA, Aug 12-UK, Sept 1-Singapore)

             This is a movie that I am not looking forward to - but its a movie I can watch. Its another Disney live-action film - but not based on a previous animation film (like The Jungle Book or Cinderella). It is based on an existing story which I'm not familiar of. So, the only thing I have about this movie is from the trailers. It looks like it has potential to be a decent family film, but I can't say I'm excited about this film.

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkmhppxFk84 (Teaser Trailer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhv5Kc8dmv8 (Trailer #1)


Ben-Hur (Aug 19-USA, Sept 9-UK, Aug 18-Singapore)

              This is a film I would normally be interested to watch. While it lacks the talent & the big names, it is still an action film, and in the month of August, this probably might be a film to look out for. So, for you people who may be interested, keep a look out at the reviews (or Rotten Tomatoes) to help you decide whether to watch this film or not.
               Me? I most likely won't watch this film for one personal, compelling reason. Because this film portrays the crucifixion of Jesus, and that is not a scene I want to witness on screen. I have read it in the bible & heard it in mass over and over again - and even without visuals, I can already imagine the cruelty of it. Its probably the most cruel act ever, and it is something I'm terrified of seeing. So, there you go. Please don't judge me...but that's the truth of it.

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BmeR9GYdDU (Trailer #1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2VrzS1HCs (Trailer #2)


Mechanic: Ressurection (Aug 26-USA, Aug 26-UK, Sept 1-Singapore)

               This to me looks like my usual shot of generic action flick. It may or may not be, but the way I see it right now, this will probably be that generic action flick which might be cool to watch but has less depth & substance in the plot. So, its a film I will watch without any sort of expectations at all.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-P3f_wDXvs (Trailer #1)


Other Movies:

               The only other movie out there that might be interesting is Nine Lives (August 5), where we get to see Kevin Spacey...as a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment