Wednesday 10 January 2018

Best Movies of 2017 (15 to 11)

And now for the best films of 2017. Again, please take note that these are just based on the films which I have watched...
And in many case, the list might not correspond perfectly to the score I gave the films, because my feelings about the movies can change over time, I take consideration my personal feelings when watching the films as well (not just the quality itself)...



Honourable Mentions:


John Wick: Chapter Two
-This film has great & memorable action sequences, but the film's dialogue & story can be improved.

Baby Driver
-I like the way this film makes use of the songs in the sequences, but there is another film that does it better (a little later in the list), and the story is still a bit generic, unfortunately.

Dunkirk
-I did not give this film a good score the first time around, but I began to appreciate the film for what it is and for what it did. I maintain that the lack of story makes it not as appealing for me, but I appreciate it's cinematic achievement.

Top 15:

15. Beauty and the Beast

               I remembered really admiring this film a lot the first time, and thinking it would be up there in the Top 10 for sure. But then I have to be fair and realize that a lot of it is due to the original animated film, which was a gem of its own. That being said, credit where credit is due, I think the performances in this film was great, and so are the visuals. Even the new songs they have added are quite memorable, so well done for that. And then there's also the humour, which was not the cheesy sort of humour that you see in an animated flick, but some real funny lines. Overall, the film has a powerful base to work with but credit where credit is due, they added some nice humour and delivers great performances to make a worthy live-action adaptation of a Disney classic.

14. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

               I am probably going a bit against the status quo here, but I have to be true to myself. I actually liked this film. I understand it has it faults, and there are scenes which I did not enjoy as much (opening sequence, for example). But overall, this film is a lot of fun and I like the way they play with the humour. And most of all, I enjoy the directing & editing style of director Guy Ritchie. And deep down, I actually want to recommend this film to people - not because its the best film or whatever - but to appreciate the rare & unique (and fun, for that matter) directing style & humour used in this film. This is a rather special film I will personally cherish.

13. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

                As mentioned above, Baby Driver employed songs in a very fun way, but for me, Guardians did it better. If you just look at these specific sequences, there is more color and more visual appeal in what James Gunn did in Guardians Vol. 2. Look at the sequences like the opening sequence (Mr. Blue Sky) or the "Yondu killing Ravagers" sequence (Come A Little Bit Closer). I really loved them. And while the overall story is a bit shallow, I still like the characters a lot (especially Yondu), and overall this film remains a fun & good film to enjoy.

12. Thor: Ragnarok

               Next up is another film in the MCU. This film is a lot of fun from start to finish. While there are no particular scenes which are as memorable as those in Guardians Vol.2, what this film does brilliantly is craft a film that is paced perfectly and is a lot of fun throughout. It may not be the best, and it sure has its faults (or rather, moments I don't quite like), but it sure as hell is one of the most entertaining films of the year.

11. The Lego Batman Movie

              What I really like about this film is that it is not your typical Batman flick. It has all the characters from the Batman universe, but the story is deeper than that. There is a lot of character conflicts, especially on the part of Batman as he tries to fix his own normal life (not-Batman life). It is a very different & unique story, but it works, and it delivers the message well. Additionally, the humour in this film were great. And for an animated movie (with some Lego characters at that), the action sequences were pretty entertaining. Would have been the best animation film of the year, if not for one special little film you'll see later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment