Saturday 4 November 2017

SPOILER TALK: Thor: Ragnarok

### SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! ###### SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! ### ### SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! ###



### SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! ###### SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! ### ### SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! ###

Hela

              I hate to say this - because as a female villain, Hela has the potential to be one of the better villains in the MCU - but I feel that she is among the weaker of them, partially undermined by her limited interaction with Thor (so lacks the emotional/character damage to the heroes) but I think also because her origin story does not feel that powerful to me - felt a little bit cheesy.

Hulk

              Meanwhile, Hulk is like the perfect supporting character & partner to Thor. The banter between the two is just brilliant. Some of the best humour in the film also comes when Hulk is around, among which my favourites are:
- In the arena, when Hulk smashes Thor around much like what he did to Loki in The Avengers
- After he exits the tub, and poor Thor had to see something he can never unsee
- When Banner leaps of the ship and does not change into the Hulk in time

                I got to admit, I kind of wish that Hulk will turn back to Banner, because Mark Ruffalo as Banner himself has that unique charisma of a simple and intelligent man. Though I would not be disappointed if we get to see Hulk like this in his full glory.

Loki

               To this day, I still think that Loki is the most charming character in the MCU. I really enjoy a lot of his interactions with other characters, including Thor himself. And to think about it, some of the best humour also comes when Loki is around, among which my favourites are:
- The Play/Drama: The Tragedy of Loki (to be honest, it felt weird at first, but thinking about it, it does fit Loki's character to be asking his people to perform a play about himself...and my, what a cameo from Luke Hemsworth, Sam Neill, and my boy Matt Damon as Loki)
- His interactions with Doctor Strange (falling for 30 minutes)
- His responses watching Thor and Hulk battle in the arena

                  I am happy to see that he sticks around at the end. I realize that they did not specifically explain how Loki escaped at the end, but perhaps it was the Tesseract? Given how he took a prolonged glimpse at it, it's teleportation capability, and how it as an Infinity Stone (and Loki) will most certainly play a part in the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War.

                  And speaking of that, very quickly, I am happy how they touched upon and addressed that (with Hela's comments) that the Infinity Gauntlet in the Asgard Vault is a fake, especially as we had seen Thanos wield it at the credits of Avengers: Age of Ultron...

Who's Gone?

                 Odin's death is probably not much of a surprise, and it is actually a critical element to kick start the plot. I only wished that it was delivered with more emotional impact. And actually, similarly with The Warriors Three, who dies very quickly and very easily without much fanfare. I don't particularly care much, but for quite important supporting characters, I don't think it does them justice.

What's Gone?

               Mjolnir is clearly gone, for now. I personally thought it would come back at the end somehow, but as of now, we still have no Mjolnir. Meanwhile, the other thing that I am more shocked to see is the fact that Thor loses his eye. That is a bold move. It is not a simple flesh wound that would just heal in time. This really means that Thor has lost his eye, and moving forward, it appears that we will always see Thor with an eye patch.

                But perhaps the biggest & boldest move of all is to see Asgard gone. Of course, we heard the saying that Asgard is the people, not the place. But still, to see Ragnarok (instead of it being stopped) actually happen instead is a really bold move. As far as endings go, this is one of the boldest I have seen in recent time, and I really am curious to see where these Asgardians will go and rebuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment