Friday 7 July 2017

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING



           I am undecided on whether this is the best Spider-Man movie ever made, but for damn sure, it's the one I like the most, and it really is another excellent film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They just don't know how to make bad movies. This film has great humour, great story, great characters...and this is, for me, the best Peter Parker/Spider-Man in film.

           I just have to start off by talking about Tom Holland's Peter Parker. Unlike other heroes like Iron Man (who is a billionaire) or Thor (who is a god), this is a character who has to deal with day-to-day stuff like school, socializing & even falling in love. It is so nice to see a superhero that needs to deal with & balance these things. And I can say that this is the best Spider-Man on film because of how he acts when he is on that suit. I don't want to spoil anything here, but if you just see what he does when he's in that suit, it is just fun & hilarious, in the way only Spider-Man can be. Which is why the humour in this film really hits!

             The plot was pretty good, but it is the characters that really made it work. All the supporting characters were quite memorable, from the likes of Tony Stark & Happy Hogan, to his high school friends Ned, Liz, Flash, Michelle. There was some great chemistry between the high school peeps, and they really feel like a modern bunch of kids. I was initially skeptical of the high school rom-com part of the film, but I ended up really enjoying it. And on the topic of supporting characters, the villain in this film is arguably one of the best in the MCU. Michael Keaton's The Vulture looks menacing & awesome in the suit, but he stands out more in his human persona.

              If there is anything that lacks in this film, I think that would actually be the action sequences. Not that it's bad, but some other previous Spider-Man movies did it better, so I can't say that this one stood out. That being said, (as mentioned above) I really like whenever this Spider-Man is in his suit in whatever he does...so there doesn't even need to be an action set piece...I thoroughly enjoyed watching this character do what Spider-Man does. There aren't too many jokes/humour throughout the film, but when there is, it really hits the mark.

              Another thing that probably didn't stood out much was the score/soundtrack...but I do have to say that the Spider-Man Homecoming Suite (theme) was excellent, so I'm going to give the composer credit for that. And without spoiling what it is, the mid-credits scene really got me excited for the future, meanwhile the post-credits scene at the end...well, it is very simply a must see!

VERDICT: 83 / 100

No comments:

Post a Comment