Tuesday 15 December 2015

SPECIAL: Top 10 Most Anticipated of 2016 - Part 3

Top 3 below...

A quick shout-out to Alice Through the Looking Glass & Independence Day: Resurgence for almost making the Top 10...

Now, TOP 3:


3. Star Trek Beyond (July 22)

the film's logo

In case you're wondering, yes, I moved the film that was supposed to be third into fourth...check the previous post to see my thoughts on that film...

            (Now, why did I move this film up to third? Well, I just saw the trailer for Star Trek Beyond...but its not because the trailer is cool or whatever, no...those kind of excitement don't last long. What the trailer did...is reminded me of what made the Star Trek stories so powerful, i.e. the friendship & relationship between the very distinct characters - the reckless James Kirk, the uptight Spock, the ever-complaining Bones, the light-hearted Scotty, etc. The interactions, and henceforth, the development of the relationship of these distinct characters (especially between Kirk & Spock) is amazing & emotional, and it really has been the core of the Star Trek stories wherever they go and whatever they do.)

          Star Trek Into Darkness was one of the best films in recent years, and it was my best film of 2013. So, I was rather disappointed when I found out that JJ Abrams will not be doing Star Trek 3. Not only did he not get to complete a trilogy (after the brilliant Star Trek and the equally spectacular Into Darkness), but also he didn't get to do the film that is to be their 50th anniversary. Instead, he jumped into an entirely new galaxy with Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Of course, after seeing all the amazing hype & buzz of The Force Awakens, and being a SW fan myself...I'm glad he jumped ship.
           With Star Trek Beyond, it gets even worse to know that writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (who penned both Trek and Into Darkness) also left the project. I mean, seriously, isn't anyone taking this 50th anniversary seriously? But it has to happen anyway, so they scraped what they can and had Simon Pegg to write the script. And then they found a great director in Justin Lin (who did the awesome Furious 6 - the best in the Furious saga for me), and I think they may have just enough to pull off a great film for their monumental landmark. There are still doubts and concerns within this film for me, but I think they should be able to pull off another exciting film.

2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 25)



          The title alone should be reason enough as to why this would be one film not to be missed. Batman & Superman - perhaps two of the most iconic superheroes in the world - set to go head-to-head and share the same screen for the first time in a live-action film. And no matter what others say - for me, Man of Steel was amazing and the best superhero flick of 2013. If there's anyone that can pull off a spectacle as big as Batman taking on Superman, it is Zack Snyder. And all the trailers so far (especially the Comic Con one) have been really amazing. Many have qualms about the latest trailer, understandably...but it doesn't take away the excitement.
          There has been a lot of casting concerns from fans, and I admit that I am one of them. Though I am growing in to accept Affleck as Batman, the same could not be said for Wonder Woman and more so, Lex Luthor. I realize I probably shouldn't judge before I see them in the film, but I just have to say this now - I don't see Jesse Eisenberg's character as Lex. He may be a great character, for all we know, but to me, he is not Lex Luthor.
          Apart from that, the film looks to be awesome. The trailers have been showing some very epic action sequences and film looks to open the gate wide for the DC Extended Universe to find their way into the hearts of fans and mass audiences alike.

1. Captain America: Civil War (May 6)



          If you wonder why this superhero clash tops my list...the answer is in the final line of the first trailer for Civil War. The moment when Tony Stark said "So was I...".
          This is something that Batman v Superman doesn't have. A brother vs brother fight always has more depth than a vigilante fighting off an alien. The relationship that Captain America and Iron Man has developed after fighting side-by-side for so long - now looks to reach new depths. And it looks to split The Avengers (and some other heroes) into two opposing sides.
           The title shouldn't even be Captain America when the cast is larger than previous Avengers films, but I suppose the heart of the story will remain with Cap. This ensemble becomes the biggest group of superheroes ever seen in a Marvel Cinematic Universe film, and Phase 3 just cannot start any bigger than this.
          And I'm not just talking about the sheer size of the cast, but the story itself is inspired on one of the most popular events that came out not more than a decade ago. While fans may know the plot, character allegiances, and even the outcome in the comics, I expect to see deviations and changes to suit the events that had come before in the MCU. I feel that even the fans are still to be surprised with what is to come.
          With a stellar cast unlike any other, trusted directors (the Russo brothers) and the marvelous Kevin Feige at the head of this project, Marvel is set to begin Phase 3 with more than a bang! 


Other Movies:
-Kung Fu Panda 3
-Deadpool
-Gods of Egypt
-London Has Fallen
-Zootopia
-The Divergent Series: Allegiant
-The Jungle Book
-The Huntsman: Winter's War
-Alice Through the Looking Glass
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
-Now You See Me 2
-Warcraft
-Finding Dory
-Independence Day: Resurgence
-The Legend of Tarzan
-Ice Age: Collision Course
-Suicide Squad
-Gambit
-Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
-Moana

No comments:

Post a Comment