Thursday 10 December 2015

SPECIAL: Top 10 Most Anticipated of 2016 - Part 1

Another year, another bunch of big, fun blockbusters to look forward to...and let me tell you something about 2016 - it feels like the year for comic book films!! And yet there's still many other exciting films as well...

Note: I've considered putting in Top 15 or even 20 for this list due to the number of films I'm interested in...but I felt it might be overkill, and those films from 11-20 are those I would definitely watch, but ultimately, NOT the ones I'm super excited about. So I'm going to keep it at ten...

As usual, release dates are subject to change in the future...

Assassin's Creed film logo.jpg

10. Assassin's Creed (December 21)

          While I'm not the biggest fan of this video game series, I am quite familiar with the franchise, despite only ever completing one of the games - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. But in that game alone, I see all the potential it has to be adapted into a film. Black Flag itself has a thrilling plot and a very likeable main character. I wouldn't mind seeing it directly adapted into film as it is. But this film is going to be an entirely new story - separate from any of the games, it seems.
          A probable key aspect to its success would be its style & action. There are several iconic moves and kill strikes that should be a joy to behold in the big screen. If they can bring this kind of style & action to life - with a great plot and equally great characters, it could well be the rare success of a video game adaptation.

9. Bourne 5 (July 29)

          Let us welcome the return of both Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass to this iconic action franchise! The Bourne Supremacy & The Bourne Ultimatum was the best in the series so far, providing thrills & action with a strong performance from the actors. It's also a rare feat with those two films such that they defy the norm where sequels tend to be less superior than their predecessors. The latest instalment, The Bourne Legacy, was nowhere near exciting nor thrilling as Ultimatum was. So, to see Damon & Greengrass back in this franchise is a welcome one - for both fans and (maybe) newcomers to the series.

8. Inferno (October 14)

          And now, the return of both Tom Hanks and Ron Howard to the Robert Langdon stories, this time, adapting the book: Inferno. For reasons unbeknownst to me, they skipped the third book's adaptation - The Lost Symbol. But I never read the books anyway, so for me, its always nice to see another chapter after The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons. While both received less than stellar reviews and brings about clouds of controversies with the depiction of some religious themes & concepts, I enjoyed them as a mystery thriller that seriously thrilled me with fear & suspense alike. Recalling back those feelings, I'm quite looking forward to Inferno this time around.


More to come in Parts 2 & 3...

No comments:

Post a Comment